Total Pageviews

Tuesday 2 January 2018

NO NEW YEAR RESOLUTIONS

Well, here we are on day two of 2018. So far, so good.

I don't make resolutions. I used to pretend to make them but I never had any real intentions of committing myself to anything specific.

On a gloomy note, wishing for world peace and international harmony is pointless. We all know that to be true. But, please, pray away.

I tend to keep my little life adjustment plans to myself. They are no one else's business. Once you share resolutions or anything that resembles resolutions, you open a door and people feel entitled to chip in with advice and opinions that, frankly, I don't need.

January is the month of lifestyle and diet gurus urging us not to eat or drink a long list of things and, occasionally, one of these hippyish bletherers will come up with a new discovery to help us live longer, illness and wrinkle-free - Madagascan Gink or Samoan Gunge or Undiscovered Tribal Magic Mucus or Divine Amazonian Sweat-Gland Excretion Lotion. Some of these experts will hold qualifications in their fields and others will be bandwagon snake-oil sellers. Feel free to be taken in.

And don't get me started on the celebrity DVDs about fitness and health. And the campaigns to get people to join gyms and buy expensive running and stretching contraptions.

Spend your money wisely!

I tend to carry on pretty much as normal with a few tweaks here and there.

Creatively, I want to be a better writer, I want to dig deep and learn how to write great and memorable poetry and finish a couple of other projects simmering away on various parts of my QWERTY hob.

The most important writing project about my father and family - Has Anyone Here Seen Kelly? - kindly support-funded by The National Lottery through the Arts Council of Northern Ireland is in an important development stage and I will be devoting the lion's share of my writing time to completing the story.

Anyone making New Year resolutions, good luck with them.






No comments:

Post a Comment