Total Pageviews

Monday 10 October 2016

LENNON REMEMBERS




I've just rediscovered Lennon Remembers: The Rolling Stone Interviews by Jan Wenner, first published in the US in 1970 and in the UK (price 40p) in 1972.

The book was buried at the back of a book shelf.  I was looking for something else but got sidetracked flicking through the pages. Fascinating stuff.

Here are a few random observations from John Lennon:

Asked about his favourite song.....
"I always liked Warus, Strawberry Fields, Help, In My Life. Those are some favourites."

Asked about the concept of pain.......
""Pain is the pain we go through all the time. You're born in pain. Pain is what we're in most of the time. And I think the bigger the pain, the more gods we need."

Asked about referring to Dylan as Zimmerman.....
"Because Dylan is bullshit. Zimmerman is his name."

Asked about his personal musical tastes.....
"Wop bop a loo bop. I like rock and roll, man. I don't like much else."

Asked about LSD.....
"It went on for years. I must have had a thousand trips."

Asked about the Hollywood Bowl.....
"It was awful. I hated it."

Asked about Brian Epstein.....
"Brian is made to look like an angel just because he's dead. He wasn't, you know, he was just a guy."

Asked about his future......
"I couldn't think of the next few years. It's abysmal thinking how many years there are to go, millions of them. I just play it by the week. I don't think much ahead of a week."

Asked if he had a picture in his head of "when I'm 64"......
"I hope we're a nice old couple living off the coast of Ireland or something like that - looking at our scrapbook of madness."


No comments:

Post a Comment