Total Pageviews

Wednesday 21 October 2015

NOW ONLY A PARTIAL SUPPORTER OF A LIBRARY

As a wannabe writer of a certain age, I like to scribble and type away at a variety of things and then decide whether or not the ideas are worthy enough to be developed into books that might draw a modicum of interest from somewhere or other.

I have had a go at biography, business books, fiction, drama and poetry from light to dark. I enjoy playing with words and will continue to do so.

One of my related interests is to talk about books, about reading and about having fun with rhyme.  An outlet for this kind of thing is the local library.  I will not identify it here but those who know me will have a fair stab at the location.

In the past 18 months, I have sent two letters, six emails and spoken in person to library staff on two visits to request a table and chair in a public area to present 'meet the author' days where I could display and discuss my books and passers-by could tell me about their books, ideas and their reading and writing interests.  The intention is not to do a sales job, although that might be a by-product. The response has been zip, nada, zilch, nothing. Not even a straightforward 'no'. At worst, this is just plain rude and, to me, shows a complete lack of interest in such a simple event idea that is wholly in keeping with what a library is all about.

I frequent this library, browse, have coffee, borrow books, sit and do some scribbling and I enjoy it. It is a great building but apathy seems to be the order of the day when it comes to encouraging locally-based writers, or maybe it's just me! Paranoid.......

I will find other ways to share my love of books, reading and writing and not bother with the library in that regard. Shame, as I have supported libraries wherever I have lived. Now, I suppose I'm only a partial supporter.

Shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment