In Search of My Father 2017 Writing Project

In Search of My Father 2017 Writing Project
In Search of My Father, 2017 writing project supported by The National Lottery through the Arts Council of Northern Ireland

Monday, 26 October 2015

MOTHER’S SON


It doesn’t take much –

the sizzle of bacon frying,
a wasp squashed by a newspaper,
a dandelion,
a soft handshake,
the smell of bleach,
champ and butter,
raindrops on a window,
an ink blot,
finding coins down the back of a sofa,
tomato sandwiches,
a TV theme tune,
washing up liquid bubbles,
stewed tea,
whispering a prayer,
melting candle wax,
talcum powder,
a full moon,
the rush of a tide,
a crying baby,
good manners,
a church spire,
daffodils,
Bisto,
knitting needles,
paraffin,
Forty Shades of Green,
furniture polish,
rosary beads,
snooker -

all this and more
and I am my mother’s son again.

No comments:

Post a Comment