In Search of My Father 2017 Writing Project

In Search of My Father 2017 Writing Project
In Search of My Father, 2017 writing project supported by The National Lottery through the Arts Council of Northern Ireland

Wednesday, 23 November 2016

AN ALBUM HALF DONE - POSTSCRIPT

Yesterday's post - An Album Half Done - featured a selection of song lyrics dating back to 1976 and moving on through the next 10 years or so. Forty years ago, I had moved from Belfast to Manchester and, as I re-read these words, I remembered short bursts of homesickness, strangeness in a strange land, fish out of water feelings (and all the other cliches). I had a guitar that I could strum reasonably well and a headful of ideas for songs.

The 1970s were brilliant for singer/songwriters - Neil Young, James Taylor, Joni Mitchell, Gordon Lightfoot and many more. My personal favourite was John Stewart, formerly of The Kingston Trio, whose most familiar song is Daydream Believer, a big hit for The Monkees and still a radio regular after all these years. He also wrote Gold and July, You're A Woman.

There was no reason why I couldn't at least have a go at what these guys were doing.

In 1997, I did a weekly songs bulletin, sending my lyrics to various people, 99% of whom did not respond but it kept me amused.

Recently, I unearthed the folder and sifted the songs I like, the ones that remind me of people and places, of love, loss and all that jazz.

If you get a chance, go back one post to yesterday's Album Half Done and have a look. Oh, and the reason is is called An Album Half Done is the lack of music. I know their chords and the tunes. One day I might collaborate with proper musicians to bring the words to life and share with a wider audience.



AN ALBUM HALF DONE
by Joe Cushnan















All song lyrics copyright ©Joe Cushnan 2016

TRACK LISTING

Casablanca Lovesong
Poet Laureate
Somebody Else Was Driving
Listen For The Thunder
Like A Cat
She Played Music
Harry's Song (For Harry Chapin)
The Last Country Song
Song For Rita
Closed Down For Winter
Crossroads

No comments:

Post a Comment