In Search of My Father 2017 Writing Project

In Search of My Father 2017 Writing Project
In Search of My Father, 2017 writing project supported by The National Lottery through the Arts Council of Northern Ireland

Monday, 7 September 2015

WHEN A COMET JET, WITH 35 PEOPLE ON BOARD, CRASHED INTO THE MEDITERRANEAN, A NURSE SLAPPED MY NEWBORN ARSE (1954)


“I saw a silver thing flash out of the clouds.
Smoke came from it. It hit the sea.”
Twenty-five adults and ten children en route
To London from Singapore, flying BOAC.

A destroyer and a creator working both angles,
Life and death sewn up like gangsters’ territories,
I was born to the sound of a slap and my own yell,
I was born into a ledger of debits, credits and balances,
Into an endless anthology of stories.

It has been said that there are two great days in a person’s life,
The day we are born and the day we discover why.
I am one of a magnificent seven, four before me and two to come,
Welcomed into a unique life by a bum-smack and a feeble cry……..

As twenty-five adults and ten children die.

I saw a bright light when only my head was visible.


No comments:

Post a Comment