Total Pageviews

Monday 7 September 2015

WHEN A COMET JET, WITH 35 PEOPLE ON BOARD, CRASHED INTO THE MEDITERRANEAN, A NURSE SLAPPED MY NEWBORN ARSE (1954)


“I saw a silver thing flash out of the clouds.
Smoke came from it. It hit the sea.”
Twenty-five adults and ten children en route
To London from Singapore, flying BOAC.

A destroyer and a creator working both angles,
Life and death sewn up like gangsters’ territories,
I was born to the sound of a slap and my own yell,
I was born into a ledger of debits, credits and balances,
Into an endless anthology of stories.

It has been said that there are two great days in a person’s life,
The day we are born and the day we discover why.
I am one of a magnificent seven, four before me and two to come,
Welcomed into a unique life by a bum-smack and a feeble cry……..

As twenty-five adults and ten children die.

I saw a bright light when only my head was visible.


No comments:

Post a Comment