Total Pageviews

Friday 24 April 2020

APROPOS OF NOTHING #7 - 24 APRIL 1895 - JOSHUA SLOCUM SAILS THE GLOBE

Available for freelance writing commissions on a variety of subjects including family history, nostalgic Belfast and its famous people, shops, shoppers & shopping, the golden age of Hollywood (esp westerns) and humorous pieces on life's weird and wonderful. Op-eds, columns, non-fiction book reviews too. 

joecushnan@aol.com & @JoeCushnan

I have a portfolio of features, reviews, poetry and short fiction published in all sorts of places - Belfast Telegraph, Tribune, Ireland's Own, Dalhousie Review, Fairlight Books, Reader's Digest, Reality, Lapwing Poetry, Ink, Sweat & Tears, Spillwords, Dear Reader, Amethyst Review, to name a selection.  Oh, and the odd BBC radio contribution. 


This is a series of very, very short items that have nothing to do with the current news agenda.  Swift diversions for a moment or two.


Apropos of Nothing #7 – 24 April 1895

In 1898 the Canadian-born Joshua Slocum became the first person to sail single-handed around the globe.  He did so in the Spray, a ship he had built himself.  He began his remarkable journey on 24 April from the eastern seaboard of America.  The journey took over three years.

“A thrilling pulse beat high in me.  My step was light on deck in the crisp air.  I felt that there could be no turning back, and that I was engaging in an adventure the meaning of which I thoroughly understood.  I had taken little advice from anyone, for I had a right to my own opinions in matters pertaining to the sea.”

 
Joshua Slocum

Sources: Sailing Alone Around the World;
The Traveller’s Handbook/Fergus Fleming/Atlantic Books/2012

No comments:

Post a Comment