Total Pageviews

Sunday 26 August 2018

WHO ARE YOU?

WHO ARE YOU?

 


I am researching and writing a memoir. At its core is my father's disappearing act. In 1960, he left our Belfast home, his wife and seven young children and vanished. The next we heard of him was when we were informed he had died at 57 in Clapham, London, in 1982.

This is a mystery of 22 'missing' years.

The memoir, by default, has expanded into a family history story but my father is the main character.

I have discovered a lot of information about him from 1960 to 1982. I have communicated with people who knew him forty years ago. I know where he lived, where he worked, the pub he frequented, the church he may have attended and his burial plot.

But, a couple of photographs intrigue and frustrate me. In his possessions there was a picture of a woman and a picture of a young boy (below). I am estimating they were taken in the mid-1970s.

The woman may be called Mary English.

The boy might be her son.

My father may have had a relationship with the woman.

The boy might be my father's son.

The boy might be my half-brother.

The boy, when older, may have joined the Navy.

CLUES THAT MIGHT JOG MEMORIES

1960s/1970s/early 1980s

Clapham, London

John Cushnan aka John Kelly, my father

Orlando Road, Clapham, his bedsit address

Rose & Crown pub, The Polygon, Clapham, his local, landlord back then, Jim Nicholson

'Scottish' George, my father's friend

But...... who are the two people pictured.

If anyone has any information, please contact me via joecushnan@aol.com









No comments:

Post a Comment