In Search of My Father 2017 Writing Project

In Search of My Father 2017 Writing Project
In Search of My Father, 2017 writing project supported by The National Lottery through the Arts Council of Northern Ireland

Friday, 5 August 2016

POET LAUREATE

This piece was written as a song, a folky piece, but based on a true romance in the hot summer of 1976 in Manchester.

I used to write poems for you
in our hot summer love affair
and I'd smile as I read them to myself
when no one was there.

I wrote seven* that are special,
some more along the way
and I'll give them to you, wrapped with love in velvet,
maybe one day.

I thought I was your Poet Laureate
for you were my ambition
and that summer was the best of times
without a contract of conditions.

Maybe I wrote this song for you,
or perhaps it wrote itself,
you've gone so I place it gently out of reach
up on a shelf.

I thought I was your Poet Laureate
for you were my ambition
and that summer was the best of times
without a contract of conditions.



*I found the seven (not great poems but wonderful memories) in a notebook I still treasure. Regina.

No comments:

Post a Comment