Total Pageviews

Monday 7 January 2019

THE DIARY OF A BOOKSELLER BY SHAUN BYTHELL


























The Diary of a Bookseller
by
Shaun Bythell



The Bookshop
17 North Main Street
Wigtown
DG8 9HL
Tel: 01988 402499


I have never worked in a book shop but I did spend nearly forty years in and around supermarket retailing, so I fully understand the arc of customer types from the genuinely nice to the quite rude to the completely bonkers. I wrote about the latter in my career retrospective, Retail Confidential. They are the most fun to write about but a drag to deal with.
















The Diary of a Bookseller gives the full flavour of frustrations and fluctuations of life as a second-hand shop owner and Shaun Bythell hits us with a brilliant combination of criticisms, complaints, wry observations, eye-rolling notes about customers who should not be allowed out in public and no-holds-barred comments about his employees. Perceptive comments, sarcasm and much humour inhabit the pages of an excellent book that I recommend highly.






No comments:

Post a Comment