Total Pageviews

Friday 19 April 2019

60 YEARS ON FROM A SCHOOL PROJECT, I'M ON THE STREETS OF TOKYO

I am happy to receive commissions from editors 
on any aspect of this trip.
joecushnan@aol.com




When I was a boy of six, our teacher, Mr Sadler, told the class at St. Teresa's Primary School, Glen Road, Belfast, that we were going to work on a project. We were going to find out as much as we could about Japan from books, holiday brochures and whatever else we came up with. I remember it was an exciting project because there seemed to be nothing more distant or exotic as Japan.

In a matter of weeks, the classroom walls were covered with photographs, paintings, newspaper and magazine cuttings, and all manner of things. I have never forgotten that project.

Fast forward almost 60 years and there I was recently walking the streets of Tokyo and visiting places like Yokohama, Toba, Himeji, Kochi, Yokkaichi, with a wee detour on one day to Busan, South Korea. It was all fascinating and mind-blowing.

I am now writing up the trip for a short memoir - working title, 'Postcards from the East'. I might pitch it or parts of it to editors, but as a last resort I'll blog a few pieces or even self-publish just for the family record.

So many moments, especially one that blew me away, and so many stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment