Total Pageviews

Friday 27 May 2022

THE 40TH ANNIVERSARY OF A DONE DEAL - FLASH FICTION BY JOE CUSHNAN





















‘If we make it to our fortieth wedding anniversary, then we call it a day. We go our separate ways. We spend the rest of our lives doing our own thing. We draw a line and become free spirits.’ 

 

That was the deal made in 1981 between Michael and Gwen. She had insisted they write it down, sign it like a contract

.

On the eve of the anniversary, they sat in the pub, avoiding the subject. 


‘An hour to midnight,’ Michael said.

Gwen looked away. He held her arm.


‘We don’t have to go through with this silly agreement.’

Gwen faced him. 


‘At first, it was lovely. Eyes across a crowded room. I fell for your charm, but that ebbed away. You had a crush on me, but the novelty wore off. I want to honour the agreement. I’ve wanted to leave for years but I am too much of a coward.’ 


Michael released her arm.


‘I thought we were happy together. Kids. Grandkids. Nice home.’

‘We were content,’ she said. ‘Comfortable. Not always happy. I felt there must be more to life than being married to the same person forever.’ 


Michael was close to tears. 

‘I feel faint,’ he said.


The walk home was awkward. When they reached their front door, Michael held Gwen by the shoulders. 


‘Let’s not do anything stupid. Let’s sleep on it.” 

Gwen backed away. 


‘No, Michael. It’s what I want. I’ll finishing packing the suitcase, and. I’ll sleep in the spare room tonight. In the morning I’m going to my sister’s. She said I could stay for a while.’

‘You are packing a suitcase?’ said Michael.

‘I want to be ready for a quick goodbye.  No point in lingering.


Once inside, they went to separate rooms without saying another word. 


Michael lay awake all night in their double bed. From time to time he ran his hand over Gwen’s side. They had made love here, comforted each other here, laughed and cried here at various times in their long marriage. He could hear Gwen tossing and turning in the next room. 


She thought about what she was about to do, but refused to succumb to any remorse. It was an end and a beginning. 


Her alarm clock sounded at six. She got up, showered, dressed and had breakfast. Michael appeared at the kitchen door. He looked exhausted.

‘I never thought this day would actually come.’ he said.

He poured himself a cup of tea. As he sat down, Gwen stood up. 

‘I’ll be off now. I just heard the taxi. We have to make this amicable. Goodbye love.’

 

Michael stared at the table. He heard the front door close and the taxi drive away. After a few moments, he walked to the living room and looked in the mirror. Gradually his frown turned to a faint smile and then a teeth-baring grin. He clenched his fist, punched the air and shouted a triumphant:

‘Yessssss!’ 

No comments:

Post a Comment