In Search of My Father 2017 Writing Project

In Search of My Father 2017 Writing Project
In Search of My Father, 2017 writing project supported by The National Lottery through the Arts Council of Northern Ireland

Monday, 29 December 2014

LOOKING BACK (2014) - LOOKING FORWARD (2015)


Looking back,
there were decisions I should not have made,
there were decisions I should have made,
things I should not have said,
things I should have said,
people I should have forgotten,
people I should have remembered,
situations I should have avoided,
situations I should have arranged,
jobs I should have abandoned,
jobs I should have done.

But in the end, what difference does it make?
We will all burn out, as sure as the sun will.
In time we will succumb and disappear,
for we are what we are in life for good or ill.

Looking forward,
there will be decisions I will not make,
there will be decisions I will make,
things I will not say,
things I will say,
people I will forget,
people I will remember,
situations I will avoid,
situations I will arrange,
jobs I will abandon,
jobs I will do.

And at the end of this year, what will be different?
Will I write the same words, think the same thoughts,
write a summary poem exactly like this.....will not.....will.....?
Be someone else or be the same man?
We are what we are in life for good or ill.

Life, the rough, the smooth,
the pleasure, the pain,
bring on 2015,
for off we go again..............

No comments:

Post a Comment